Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Make Do Casserole!

I used to make a casserole called "Six Layer Dish".  It consisted of a big casserole dish with ground beef in the bottom followed by layers of rice, potatoes, onions, carrots and tomatoes.  I found some extra lean ground beef at Walmart (I don't usually shop there but it was just $4.00 so I couldn't pass it up ~ I was waiting for a prescription to be filled).

Anyway, we had some taco seasoning in the pantry which needed to be used up so here's what I have in the oven right now:

Ground beef on the bottom (cooked in a frying pan first with taco seasoning and 1 cup water as per the package directions)
Sprinkle of remaining Uncle Ben's Converted Rice in the bag in the pantry
Sliced Onions (followed by wiping of teary eyes!)
Carrots sliced
Canned corn (figured taco seasoning and corn would work well together!)
Sliced potatoes (peeled and sliced like you would for scalloped potatoes)
Large can of diced tomatoes on top of everything.

Remember to season each layer with salt and pepper to taste but remember that taco seasoning is very salty.

I also added some V8 juice which I found in the fridge.  Since the rice is raw when it goes into the oven, it needs liquid or it doesn't cook properly.  I tend to add about 1/2 cup in total and let it seep down between the layers.

I put it in a covered casserole dish and it's now in a 400 degree oven.  I figure it will take about 60 minutes to cook ~ a perfect length of time to blog about it and catch up on the blogs I'm following.  The smell of tomatoes and onions together baking in the oven has always driven me nuts! (in a good way).

We'll see how it turns out.  Hopefully it will be more successful than my recent bread attempts.  If I have time I'll post a picture later.  I have my "War on Debt " meeting tonight so it may have to wait.

Until next time,
Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vegan Breakfast Cookies

 I keep being asked for this recipe, so here it is: 5 bananas 4-5 cups of oats 1 1/2 cups chopped dates softened  in boiling water 1 1/2 cup...