Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blog about it...blog about it..blog about it .... dit dit da dooo

sung to the song .  "talk about it, talk about it, talk about it..."

OK silly mood here but I have to, just have to blog about our pantry dinner tonight.

I was suggesting South American Pumpkin Soup but both my husband and son turned up their noses at my suggestion.  We have 3 cans of pumpkin in the pantry.  Next idea...

OK...I then remembered a fb friend had posted a recipe for an easy turkey dinner in a bowl recipe.  I was already to send my husband to the store for ground turkey and a can of gravy when my son pipes in:  "Mom, isn't the goal to eat everything from your pantry?"  Conviction set in and we tried to think outside the hunger pangs and instant gratification.

First of all here's my friend's recipe:

ground turkey, sauteed with onions and garlic and diced carrots; add 1 can gravy
top with mashed parsnips
serve with boxed stuffing.

So I didn't have ground turkey, nor did I have canned gravy.

Here's what we did:

Thawed some frozen chicken breasts
Diced the chicken breasts and sauteed them with onions and garlic and diced carrots

From the pantry drawer I pulled a package of Hunter Style Gravy.  Mixed up the gravy and added it to the chicken, onions, and carrots.  Let it simmer.
Pulled a package of instant mashed potatoes but decided to save those and use fresh potatoes because they don't have a shelf life; packages do.  Peeled some potatoes to make mashed potatoes instead of mashed parsnips.

Meanwhile, melted some butter in a saucepan and sauteed some celery and onions and then the directions for the stuffing - 1 cup water set to boil; add stuffing mix, take off the heat and put a lid on it.


Opened a can of cranberry sauce (have 3 in the pantry).

Result?  The YUMMIEST comfort meal ever!!!  And we ate it from the pantry and freezer.  I'm trying to stay on my weight watchers program but could not help myself and went back for small seconds.

Mashed potatoes smothered in chicken, onions, carrots and gravy with a side of stuffing and cranberry sauce.  O M G !!!

Take a look for yourself:





You must try this.  And a big thank you to my friend, Mavelle.

Until next time,

Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vegan Breakfast Cookies

 I keep being asked for this recipe, so here it is: 5 bananas 4-5 cups of oats 1 1/2 cups chopped dates softened  in boiling water 1 1/2 cup...