Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

One last blog before bedtime

Hello again!

I just finished making my lunch for work tomorrow.  This is one of my favourite all time meals and it's very portable, not expensive and very satisfying.  We went shopping today for dairy and a few odds and ends.  We love cottage cheese in our house so we stocked up today.

This dish is called Kibbutz Salad.   It's what I ate for breakfast and dinner every day when I lived in Israel in 1984/85.  The hot meal was always at lunch time.

And it couldn't be simpler to make:
1 cup cottage cheese (I use 1% or 2%)
1-2  chopped tomatoes
1/2 chopped cucumber (I use Engish cucumber)
2 hard boiled eggs
Salt & Pepper

Basically just chop the veggies and the eggs into the cottage cheese; season with salt and pepper and serve.
I told you it was easy!!

I didn't have any cucumber so I varied mine for tomorrow:
  • cottage cheese
  • chopped tomato
  • chopped yellow pepper
  • chopped celery
  • hard boiled egg
  • salt & pepper

Voila!  I thought it was worth sharing with you my wonderful readers because the ingredients are  not something we would naturally put together in North America but it was definitely a staple in the diningroom on the Kibbutz in Israel.  When I first arrived there for my year I was pining away for my granola from home but by the time it finally arrived in a care package from my sister, I had fallen in love with Kibbutz salad and never looked back.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

So....I guess you can't really call it a 'pantry' meal because it comes from the fridge, but it's still helps me meet my goal of reducing unnecessary expenditures of restaurant lunches and it's so much healthier!

BTW, it doesn't keep very long as the tomatoes and cucumbers get mushy.  It's advisable to make this just before serving.  Rarely does it taste as good the day after.  This is one reason I just placed my ingredients into my lunch container and didn't mix them up.  You could also serve it in various containers buffet style for families and switch up the vegetables.  I've seen onions added much like you would a greek salad...oh yes...olives also make it interesting but more expensive too.

Have fun with it!

Mavis

1 comment:

Vegan Breakfast Cookies

 I keep being asked for this recipe, so here it is: 5 bananas 4-5 cups of oats 1 1/2 cups chopped dates softened  in boiling water 1 1/2 cup...