Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

What do these items have in common??

Soya Sauce
Capers
Salsa
Duncan Hines Vanilla Icing
Biryani Paste
Plum Sauce
Sliced Jalapeno Peppers
Teriyaki Sauce
Sambal Olek (chili sauce)
Concentrated Mint Sauce
Sun Dried Tomatoes
V8 Plus
Egg Whites in cartons

If you guessed they are all in jars you would be almost right.  If you guessed they are all refrigerated you'd be 100% right (in my house).  But that's not the answer.

Ready?  The answer is these are all challenge ingredients currently in my fridge for which I have little to no inspiration to use up.  I need your help!

I'm putting a challenge/contest out there.  Please spread the word to your friends.  The one who posts or emails me the longest list of suggestions on how to use these ingredients will get a prize of my Blue Ribbon Whole Wheat (fresh ground flour) Bread.  Of course, you have to live in Victoria to win this prize.   Deadline:  Friday, February 18th.

Ready, set go!
Mavis


3 comments:

  1. Hi Mavis, I'm enjoying your blog, thank you for sharing your adventure in creative meals! These are easy uses for some of your challenge ingredients. Using chicken, lemon juice, butter and capers, and a bit of basil, salt and pepper, you can make a really easy and yummy dinner. You just mix melted butter, lemon juice and the spices, pour over the chicken breasts (or whatever pieces you have available in your freezer!) and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes till done. I would cover it with aluminum foil till the last 10-15 minutes to avoid drying it out.

    The salsa is a great item for salads, baked potatoes, even scrambled eggs, if you add some cheese and it then becomes "southwest scramble" :)

    Also, if you have a crockpot, stick some chicken or turkey in with a jar of salsa and some water or chicken broth, and cook on low for several hours. Sounds strange, but I have 3 teens/almost teens and they love this one. Serve with veggies and rice, and it's easy and really good!

    The frosting is great on cookies (make your own cookies, and then make "sandwich" cookies with frosting in the middle.

    Soy sauce- slice some fresh veggies (whatever you have...carrots, onions, zucchini, broccoli, celery, whatever) in olive oil and garlic. top with soy sauce, and for an extra kick, tobasco (pepper sauce) and sesame oil. Tastes like dinner at an asian restaurant. Cheap, too!
    You can also use the chili sauce instead of the tobasco. Perfect! Or use the teriyaki sauce.

    The teriyaki sauce can also be used to marinate chicken in (2-4 hours or overnight) and then grill it and serve with the stirfried veggies above.

    Sliced jalapeno peppers: add to baked potatoes? Use in scrambled eggs with cheese, onion, etc for another 'southwest scramble" or
    make your own nachos!

    I'm all for quick and easy stuff, with my kidlets and busy schedule. Hope this helps!

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina,
    Love your suggestions! Are you in Victoria? How can I get some bread to you?? Email me through my 'view my complete profile' address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mavis, no, actually I'm in Arkansas! I just read your Coffee Snobs blog post and enjoyed it so much (yep, I'm one too!) so I kept reading...thanks for the offer of bread, and if I lived there, I would be right over to pick it up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Vegan Breakfast Cookies

 I keep being asked for this recipe, so here it is: 5 bananas 4-5 cups of oats 1 1/2 cups chopped dates softened  in boiling water 1 1/2 cup...