Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Nabob and the Coffee Snob

So...we got to the end of the expensive Kicking Horse coffee.  Our other favourite is the Alex Campbell Signature Series Sumatra Gayo Mountain (yes..we ARE coffee snobs in our house...at least I am!).  We buy the whole beans and grind them ourselves.  Superb coffee!  But in the War On Debt scheme of things, shouldn't I really put my snobbery aside and settle for Nabob?


I was in Save on Foods the other day and noticed the Nabob on sale so I bought it thinking "suck it up buttercup!"  A lot of people drink Nabob and find it quite acceptable.

I'm sorry...I just couldn't do it.  Brave first day but by the second day I was waving the white flag.  But my brilliant husband came up with an idea so that we can use our 'yuk' coffee and fool me.  He's using half Nabob with half of our other coffee.  It's mighty fine I have to say!

I'm sitting here sipping while I blog right now.  The result of this discovery?  It makes me want to dig into my coffee/tea drawer to see what else is lurking unused and on the verge of being wasted.

I dunno.  I'm quite inspired.  I'm using it but not suffering.  That's a good thing right?!!

We have to clean out that cupboard.  We have boxes and boxes of teas, including some loose tea we received from Japanese and Korean students, and impulse buys along the way ~ you name it!

We're still doing fine in the meal department as well, slowly using up what we have.  There haven't been any 'earth-shattering meals out of nothing' so I haven't bothered to blog about the daily grind.  But we're forging ahead and the fridge is looking great!  I still haven't used my challenge ingredients from the contest but so far I have had one entry to the contest so Jake will be winning my bread unless someone else steps up to the plate (forgive the pun).  You can email me at mavisreyn at yahoo dot ca if you don't have a google account to reply to my blog.  You can also find me on facebook.  Put FRIDGE CHALLENGE in the subject line.

Off to savour the last few sips of my coffee and then to take stock of the tea/coffee cupboard.

Until next time,

Mavis
PS - I've just found out from my brilliant husband that  he apparently gave me the 'blend' the day before and I didn't notice.  So there you have it!

2 comments:

  1. Mavis, when you're finished cleaning out your coffee & tea cupboard...please consider purchasing your coffee from Level Ground. I can't say enough good things about this local, Christian, non-profit company where the proceeds go directly to the communities where the beans are grown. Purchasing fairly-traded products (coffee, sugar, & cocoa are most important) means that the money we do spend is actually impacting our world in a hugely significant way- preventing poverty and unjust working conditions. Yes, it costs more than Nabob. But at least my indulgent North American habit is benefitting others. (And it is amazing coffee!) Talk to me more about the best ways to buys beans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kali,
    Yes I know about Level Ground. We used to buy it at Ten Thousand Villages. Liz worked at Starbucks so we got out of the habit of buying coffee at all because we got free coffee every week. But I did see it at church and we will definitely buy it when we're through our stock! Thanks for the reminder. Mavis

    ReplyDelete

Vegan Breakfast Cookies

 I keep being asked for this recipe, so here it is: 5 bananas 4-5 cups of oats 1 1/2 cups chopped dates softened  in boiling water 1 1/2 cup...