Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday dinner

The ham and scalloped potatoes actually happened today.  The only ingredient I was lacking was 1 egg.  I therefore decided to do my grocery shopping today instead of tomorrow.  Spent $96 for fruits and veggies, 1 pkg of extra lean ground beef (thinking of spaghetti tomorrow to use up some of the pasta in the pantry), and various dairy items and some special requests from my son (bread and cheese).

What I used on hand:
Potatoes, cheese, onion and milk for the potatoes
Ham from the freezer
1 Can of niblets corn mixed with 1 can of creamed corn

Special addition:  our home made sweet and hot mustard.  My kids think this is a side dish it's so good.  I kid you not.  You can ask my daughter any day if it's not her favourite part of this dinner.  As I said, I was lacking only one ingredient...I needed an egg for this recipe:

Sweet & Hot Mustard

1/4 cup dry mustard
1/4 cup vinegar

Put in stainless steel saucepan, mix together and cover.  Let sit for 1 hour.

Turn on over medium heat and add:

1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
Salt to taste

Heat over medium heat until thickened.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Add:
1/2 cup mayo

Stir and serve.  Must be refrigerated.  Serve with ham.

Family VERY happy with dinner.

Bon Appetit!

Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vegan Breakfast Cookies

 I keep being asked for this recipe, so here it is: 5 bananas 4-5 cups of oats 1 1/2 cups chopped dates softened  in boiling water 1 1/2 cup...